Apple-cinnamon breakfast risottoRecipe from The Gluten Free Bible (this link is an affiliate link)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, diced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 cups apple juice, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sliced almonds, milk and dried cherries (optional toppings)
Slow cooker instructions:
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add apples, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
4. Cook and stir 3 – 5 minutes or until apples begin to release juices.
5. Transfer contents to slow cooker.
6. Add rice and stir to coat.
7. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top.
8. Add apple juice and vanilla.
9. Cover; cook on HIGH setting 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until all liquid is absorbed.
10. Top with almonds, cherries, milk – if desired.
This breakfast risotto is perfect in the mornings or for a snack. It’s incredibly filling and perfect for the cooler months. It definitely sticks to your ribs and I always enjoyed it when I was still working in the legal sector – never knowing when I would get to my lunch break! It’s wonderful as AM leftovers throughout the week if you need something convenient to warm up in the morning. I enjoy mine with sliced almonds and whole milk from our area’s best creamery, Homestead Creamery. It’s a perfect way to use up a big batch of apples of varying kinds – doesn’t have to be Granny Smith! I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I highly recommend the cookbook as it was one of the first I bought when I was first diagnosed with Celiac disease. Please let me know if you’ve had it – or if you have some fun variations to suggest to me!