This salad is adapted from Karmel and Blumer’s Pizza on the Grill, called the “Hong Kong Confetti Salad” (p. 124):
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (it had a lot of heat so I cut it down to 1/8)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, cored, then cut crosswise into the narrowest ribbons possible and separated
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut length-wise into the thinnest strips possible
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut length-wise into the thinnest stripes possible
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, lime juice, honey, ginger, and cayenne. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, onion, and cilantro and toss thoroughly. Toss with the dressing to coat well, then garnish with the sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Note: If preparing more than an hour in advance, keep the cabbage separate and dress the salad just before serving (otherwise the whole salad will be purple).
5 thoughts on “Savory Saturday: delicious cabbage salad”
That sounds fantastic.
Yum! Looks delicious!
Freshwater pearls jewellery, semi precious earrings, freshwater bracelets, gemstones jewellery necklaces, Pearls Collection are available in Vanitto’s Fashion
It is so good Twitter Mom! You will love it.
So delicious – but it has a bit of heat. I need to edit the post and let people know that!