The May 2013 issue of Lucky Magazine featured a short article by Jenna Gottlieb titled, “5 key pieces every woman should own” (pp. 48-49). Her highlighted designer was Donna Karan, who clearly knows how to dress women! I really enjoyed this article, my only wish was that it had been a few pages longer. Sometimes magazines are too conservative with features such as this one.
I thought it would be fun to do a Polyvore based on this article, and then do my own take on the same items. I hope you will let me know if you feel the same way as Donna Karan in terms of these different pieces.
1. Bodysuit “It’s all about the tuck-in factor. With a bodysuit, even if you wear your pants sloppy and low, you’re still clean on top.”
A few ladies on Twitter this past week were talking about the dislike of the bodysuit, but I really think it works on a lot of women if they aren’t too busty. A bodysuit really makes outfits work well by pulling something together with little effort (add skirt, add pant, etc.).
$515 – net-a-porter.com
$43 – lipsy.co.uk
$1,015 – brownsfashion.com
$120 – harveynichols.com
2. Anorak “The anorak has been a DKNY essential since the beginning. It’s the idea of her wearing his clothes, and there’s something so sexy about that.”
I love an anorak in a bold color and with the ability to give you shape. Not your shapeless rainy-day-at-beach anorak. The ones with straps at wrists, waist, hips, neck to still give you a feminine silhouette.
3. Belt Bag “We’re constantly in need of our cell phones, but who wants to carry a purse all the time? Just throw all your stuff in a belt bag and you still have your hands!”
I found number three ironic as just on this past week’s episode of The Rachel Zoe Project she actually said at one point “Once you go fanny pack, you never go back.” I honestly never thought I would hear Rachel Zoe promote fanny packs/utility belts but they are apparently helpful for her when she is carrying Skyler and her Starbucks.
$1,060 – net-a-porter.com
4. Printed Jeans “Printed jeans in browns and whites and blacks-how amazing? They’re neutral, so you can wear them with everything.”
Until I reach my goal weight, this is just not happening for me. Sorry! I am sure it is easier on people with no butt and quite small hips/thighs. I am not there yet. And I think it looks silly on me!
5. Yellow Dress “Every girl needs a work-to-beach-to-night dress. This one is not at all fussy, but it’s completely showstopping.”
Surprisingly, yellow is a lot more flattering on me now as I have grown older. I think my skin is more even-toned and my hair is darker which makes it a better hue on me than before. Anyone else warming up to yellow?
What are your favorites?